Graduation is without a doubt one of the most important days of your life, marking the end of one exciting chapter, before moving onto the next. It’s also the night you celebrate your fantastic university memories before you begin working life, go travelling, or maybe just take time to figure it all out.
So, you need to do it right. Guys, start by perfecting your suit. You want to dress smart at your graduation, and the task of standing out can be made harder while wearing your graduation robe. Fear not. The gurus at Moss Bros. have five simple tips on matching your suit with your robe and have sorted us with style shortcuts to help ace your outfit.
1. Don’t follow the crowd. Graduations are formal, family affairs but if you’ re the type of guy who enjoys pushing boundaries, don’t be afraid to change it up. Sotos Georgalli, Moss Bros. Brand and Creative Director, tells us: “The rules are there to be broken – make sure you stand out by combining different jackets and trousers and throw a t-shirt or your favourite kicks into the mix.” Keep it smart, but dress according to your personality and find a way to shine through the suit-and-robe ‘uniform’ with a small change.
2. The failsafe formula: If you’ re not too confident with even the basics of suits, Sotos says to concentrate on the failsafe formula of suit, shirt, tie, pocket square and shoes. Focus on getting those looking right and you won’ t go wrong. “The key is to coordinate whatever is around your neck with your pocket square,” he reveals. “That doesn’t mean you must match it – they can be totally different patterns if you pair them in complementary colours.” It is your decision whether to wear a tie or not. A good rule of thumb can be to change one thing in the above formula; it can make your look extra sharp under those robes.
3. All about the shoes: Besides the robe, your shoes will be the main part of your outfit on show throughout the whole day, so pick something stylish but comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time. Don’t want to go smart? Brogues are a fashionable alternative and are shoes that you can wear again and again, whether to work, an interview or a night on the tiles.
4. Rent or buy? Should you rent or buy a suit for graduation? This is the burning question Moss Bros. gets asked all the time. If you are certain you won’t need to wear the suit again, renting could be the best option, but purchasing a suit can be a sound investment that can save you money in the long term. Unlike the girls you’ll be throwing your mortarboard in the air with, you can buy a timeless suit you can wear over again for several occasions, switching up the look of it by replacing your shirt, tie or shoes. “Buying a new suit doesn’t have to be expensive,” says Sotos. “We’ve got options to suit every wallet. Our ‘Moss London’ label offers up ready-to-wear suits in of-the-moment styles, and mostly come in for less than £150.”
5. Remember the memories: Your graduation day will feel like it’s over quickly; it is the perfect excuse for your parents and loved ones to get snap happy. Although this can be annoying, make sure you capture the day and remember it as the beginning of your next chapter! Timeless suits can always be styled differently, and your graduation suit is no exception. More worried about what you’re going to wear to your graduation ball? Moss Bros. has a guide for prom suits that’ ll provide perfect inspiration (see below).